The Organization: The Arizona Land and Water Trust, headquartered in Tucson, Arizona, is an award-winning, vibrant and growing 501c(3) nonprofit organization that protects Southern Arizona’s vanishing western landscapes, farms and ranches, wildlife habitat and the waters that sustain them. We also support appropriate legislation, public education, and outreach efforts. Founded in 1978, we believe the preservation of Southern Arizona’s landscapes and ecosystems is vital to the well-being of all residents, present and future.
Position: Director of Development
Job Summary: Arizona Land and Water Trust (Trust) seeks an accomplished and dynamic development professional to lead its philanthropic initiatives across multiple channels including growing a multi-million dollar capital campaign, major gifts program, planned giving and fund development. The ideal candidate is an individual who can build a motivating fundraising program grounded in the Trust’s core mission and vision. The Director of Development will report to the Executive Director (ED) and will supervise the Development Coordinator. Within the organization, the Director of Development will work closely with senior management, financial operations, program staff and Board of Directors. Outside of the organization, the Director of Development will work closely with donors and funding sources.
Essential Job Responsibilities
- Staff and Board Collaborations:
- Assist Board of Directors, ED and senior staff in ensuring organizational health, effectiveness and provide input on short and long-term strategic planning.
- Mobilize Board of Directors and Staff in their role in donor relations and maximizes their strengths and their networks and encourage a collaborative fundraising culture.
- Advise, manage and support the fundraising and solicitation efforts of Board, Development Committee, ED and Staff.
- Serve as organizational ambassador; represent the Board and ED to donors and prospects by nurturing community and regional relationships and identifying individuals for Board candidacy.
- Management of Capital Campaign:
- Lead the organization through its first multi-million dollar capital campaign.
- Work closely with the Board, ED and Staff with the solicitation of 5, 6 and 7 figure gifts.
- Assist ED, Development Committee, Marketing & Communication Committee, and Development Coordinator with developing compelling appeals and marketing materials focused on the capital campaign.
- Development Operations:
- Build a mix of balanced funding sources and solicitation programs to support donor retention and motivate fundraising volunteers.
- Work with ED and Senior Staff to set and reach fund development goals for annual and planned giving campaigns.
- Drive and manage direct mail campaigns.
- Design and implement appropriate expense and fundraising budgets.
- Work with ED and Staff to write foundation and corporate giving proposals and fundraising appeals.
- Establish and grow a successful planned giving program to ensure organizational endowment and program funds.
- Manage donor and supporter records, design fundraising reports and manage overall database hygiene.
- Identify prospect donors and oversee prospect research in collaboration with Development Coordinator.
- Ensure compliance with all relevant regulations and laws, maintain the organization’s fund development and philanthropic principles, policies and procedures.
This position demands high-energy and serves the essential function of setting the direction and ensuring the health of the organization. The ideal candidate for this position is an experienced development professional with planning, management and organizational development skills with a proven track record of fundraising success with rich skills in donor cultivation, stewardship and major donor solicitation.
- Demonstrated experience and success in managing capital campaigns over $10 million; experience fundraising in a campaign setting and leading a major growth campaign.
- Possess a keen understanding of philanthropy, ethics, motivations for giving and volunteering, research and cultivation practices, standard fundraising techniques
- Maintain awareness of current philanthropic trends and sector-specific opportunities.
- Possess excellent written and verbal communication skills; communicate and motivate giving.
- Successfully plan and meet deadlines.
- Maintain a flexible work schedule to meet the demands of executive management.
- Excel at time management and balancing multiple demands simultaneously.
- Demonstrate initiative and work as a team player.
- Adhere to the highest ethical standards in management, governance, fund development, donor management, leadership, marketing and financial management, and organizational behavior.
- Bachelor’s degree required, advanced degree preferred.
- Minimum of 5-7 years of non-profit fund development experience in a professional development position, managerial experience preferred.
- Participation in a professional fundraising association expected.
- Certified Fund Raising Executive (CFRE) and Planned Giving certifications preferred.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications.
- Proficiency in Raiser’s Edge or similar nonprofit fundraising software.
This position is based in Tucson, Arizona. Salary and benefits are very competitive and focused on long-term, successful employment. Excellent benefits package.
How to Apply
Email cover letter, resume and three references to Lpetterson@alwt.org, noting “Director of Development” in the subject line.